Project Title: “Epidemiology of Clostridium difficile-associated disease in Georgia”, BTEP/ISTC, G-1759; Project duration: 01.12.2013 – 31.05.2015.
a). Aim: Study of C. difficile-associated disease prevalence, risk factors and molecular epidemiology in Georgia
• Data collection for C. difficile-associated disease (CDAD) prevalence and risk-factors investigation;
• Detection, isolation and identification of C. difficile strains from clinical samples using bacteriological methods;
• Determination the antimicrobial susceptibility profile of C. difficile strains;
• Study of relationships between C. difficile toxins A/B and CDAD;
• A, B and binary toxins typing;
• PCR ribotyping of C. difficile strains.
c). Expected Results
• Obtaining incidence of CDAD among hospitalized patients in Georgia;
• Possible of risk factors of healthcare-associated-CDAD transmission in Georgia will be identified;
• Relationships between C. difficile toxins A and B and CDAD will be identified;
• Molecular characteristics of C. difficile strains prevalent in Georgia will be defined;
• Formulation of preventive measures against CDAD.